Wednesday, November 7, 2007

QUACK!!


It's that time of year at the Crawford house. Time to pull out the thermal underwear and make sure all the hunting garb is ready to go. Hubby is an avid, (no I should spell it in all caps), AVID duck hunter and has hunted faithfully since he was 10 years old.

It's like this series of symptoms begins to hit him in about mid-October. Those would include: watching duck-hunting videos, looking at the latest issue of Cabelas magazine, calling his brother for reports and outlooks (whom he doesn't talk to much the rest of the year, but now the telephone lines are blazing hot), and talking to and lining up who's going to go Opening Day (Opening Day, by the way is the Saturday before Thanksgiving).

It's kind of like a holiday for us. We're just so accustomed to it, it's second nature. I'm glad he has an outlet and a form of re-creation, a way to get his mind off of the stresses of work and life and connect with God and nature. And, believe me, he definitely connects!! He has a group of guys that he goes to Arkansas with. They have even bought them a mobile home right near the reservoir where they hunt, they call it the "tin-do-minium". It's really kind of cute and serves it's purpose well.

I do believe duck-hunters are a definite sub-culture of their own. They have their own language and lifestyle. I use to go hunting with him; in fact all of the ladies in our family used to go on Opening Day. When the children started coming along, that sort of stopped. Although, our daughter absolutely loves to hunt, as well, and will probably also be an AVID hunter.

So, to all of you duck hunters or duck hunter widows out there, welcome to a new season. Best wishes for getting your limit!!

2 comments:

DebbieP said...

I love the "tin-do-minium"! That is great! Boy I bet you are a great duck cook. I have never had duck so I would love to learn how to cook it.

Debbie C. said...

Actually, I can't stand the stuff. It has a very "gamey" flavor to me. Melvin loves it but is kind not to make me cook it. I have never tried to cook it. His mother and aunts always have done that job. We don't eat it much. Although, there is one way that it is cooked that I do like, but Melvin cooks it. He cuts the duck into strips, soaks it in Italian dressing for a day and then ties it in bacon and grills it. That way is really good, but kind of defeats the purpose, because the flavor is masked (much to my delight) in the bacon.