Friday, November 30, 2007

Friday Fact ~ Merry X-MAS



First, let's talk about the word 'X-mas.' I have to admit that in the past I just didn't like the saying "Merry X-mas" because I thought people were trying to avoid saying Christmas, and thus avoid the connection that Christ has to Christmas. Well, I was mistaken and have learned what the significance of the "X" is in "X-mas".

We have a Christmas tree in the back of our sanctuary at church that is full of Chrismons. The word "Chrismon" is a derivative of two words (ChHRISt+MONOgram). By the way, the Chrismons at our church, like many others, are handmade because according to all I've read, they cannot be made for profit, hence you won't find them in your neighborhood store that sells Christmas decorations.

Technically, if the ornaments on a Christmas tree are comprised mostly of Christian symbols, the tree is known as a "Chrismon Tree." Most Chrismons are white with gold decorations of beads, ribbon, glitter, etc.

Chrismons are symbols that stand for Christ. The symbol reminds us of some aspect of Christ's life. The symbol points us, our minds toward Christ. There are many,many Chrismons and I have posted one here for you that is explained. But you can do some research on your own and find all the different symbols. It is very fascinating.

If you look carefully on the tree you will see some Chrismons that are "X's" or a combination of an "X" and what looks like a "p." Those are not English letters, but Greek letters. The letter that looks like the letter "p" in our alphabet is really the Greek letter "Rho" which is equal to our letter "R." The "X" is the Greek letter "Chi" and is equal to a "CH" in English letters. The "Chi," the Greek letter that looks like our "X" is a symbol of Christ. It is the first two letters of the word "Christ." When combined with the "Rho," the Greek letter that looks like our letter "p," the symbol then stands for the first THREE letters, "Chr" of the word Christ.

So, when people, like me, go on and on about 'X-mas' leaving out Christ, they don't know what they're talking about. So, now that YOU know, you can enlighten them.

6 comments:

Jessie said...

Very interesting! I never heard of a Chrismon. A Chrismon tree sounds like a great project for the kids and me (probably not till next year, though). Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog!

DebbieP said...

Well, what do you know! I won't be perturbed at the use of X-mas any longer! It makes sense, though that to shorten the word Christmas, use a symbol that means Christ to replace that word. Cool!

Unknown said...

That's awesome. I've always thought people were leaving the "Christ" out of Christmas too. Now I know better. I'm loving the Friday facts!

Anonymous said...

I had never heard this either. Thank you for the info. God Bless.

Jeff Keith said...

Thank You for your kind comments on my blog. He is a Brittany!!

Jeff Keith said...

Added you to my links. Keep up the great work and thanks for visiting my site.