Monday, November 19, 2007

The Cultural Confrontation

I have been confronted of late by the humility and simplicity that is evident in other cultures. This past week I had two opportunities to hear and take part in the testimonies of two different humble pastors and their messages. One from an Asian country, the other from Central America. I was struck by their humility, simplicity and yet the fervor of their message regarding God's Kingdom and their love for people. It's like one of our church members said after hearing one brother share, "I want that heart for myself." I, too, cry out for a different way of seeing things. Our American eyes have become enmeshed in materialism and self-sufficiency. I am not saying I do not love America. For I do with all my heart and thank God that I live in a free land where I can serve Him. But I believe that what these two men model is because they have been through trials; character producing trials, like having their life almost taken or not knowing where their next meal is coming from, or seeing a loved one die because there was no way to get them to medical help; these kinds of trials have made them into who they are. I don't know... I am just sharing my heart with you. I am sharing my heart with God and crying out for understanding and for a tender, more compassionate heart toward those around me and a zeal, a burning in my soul to share His love with others. In other countries, our brothers and sisters in Christ are dying because they are sharing His love and yet we are afraid of the rejection we might face from our neighbor if we mention His name. Something is very wrong.

I remember when I lived overseas and saw people come night after night to a big open tent with sawdust on the floors and wooden benches with no arms on them. People came in the rain and 40 degree weather, night after night. People walked for miles to hear a preacher preach God's Word and they came with a faith that healed their children of diseases and delivered them from demonic spirits. I saw it with my own eyes. And yet, I am not seeing it now. I am reminded again of this faith, this faith that knows it has nothing but Jesus to run to, nothing but Him to rely on. I want that heart, that kind of faith. Can it happen for me, can it happen for America?

Our country is becoming alot like some other places where religion is just something to do. Our nation is going from being a Christian nation to becoming a secular nation. I believe it grieves God's heart. He gave us the freedom we enjoy, not to squander on ourselves and live like the devil, but to share freely His love and to share freely with our brothers. We have been unfaithful to Him. God help us. Break our hearts with the things that break Your heart. Teach us Your ways, Oh Lord. Start with me.

1 comments:

DebbieP said...

Thank you so much for being so transparent and sharing what is on your heart. I felt that way so fresh ans raw, if you will, when I went on one of our early mission trips to Nicaragua. When I came back, the Christmas rush was in full swing and it just about nauseated me. The people in Nicaragua were lining up for hours, hungry for the Lord. People here were lined up for hours to fight each other for the right to buy an over priced item no one needed. It is funny to put it this way, but people who are poor, especially in third world countries, seem to have a spiritual advantage because they know they need God. We are blinded into thinking we do not need Him when we need Him every bit as much as they do.

Thank you for that reminder. God bless you.