Friday, January 18, 2008

Friday Fact - Common Brand Names









Have you ever thought about all of the common household names we have for things that were once actually brand names (trademarked)?

Here is a very partial list of some of the more common ones. Maybe you can think of some I haven't included:

Kleenex - tissue
Saran Wrap - plastic wrap
Xerox (also used as a verb)- copier, paper and to copy
Post-it - the little notes
Wite-Out - mistake eraser
CrockPot - cooking vessel
Jacuzzi - whirlpool tub
Band-Aid - adhesive bandage
Zip-Loc - plastic storage bag
ChapStick - lip balm
Vaseline - petroleum jelly
Windex - glass cleaner
Aspirin - I didn't know this was a brand name but it was. Probably the most common one. The folks at Bayer came up with the name Aspirin, it comes from the 'A" in acetyl chloride, the "spir" in spiraea ulmaria (the plant they derived the salicylic acid from) and the 'in' was a then familiar name ending for medicines.

The list goes on and on: Scotch tape, Jello, Q-Tips, Clorox, Frisbee, Boomerang, Thermos...

2 comments:

DebbieP said...

How about Coke? In Georgia I hear people call soda Coke.

Isn't it cool to be the company that we choose to use!

Anonymous said...

I can't think of any to add! I was going to say Coke, but the above comment beat me to it! Oh wait, I know! Ipod. Seems like everyone says that instead of mp3 player.