Thursday, December 6, 2007

Painting Lessons


If you know me at all, you know that I am very frugal with money. Some might term it "tight". But I don't mind. I do enjoy coupons and saving a buck or two when I can. So, when it came to finishing our bonus room, I told my husband we could save some money by us painting it ourselves. HA!! What a joke!!

Today is the second day of "priming" the sheet rock. Why do they call it "primer" anyway? Prime means "elite, heyday, perfection, all things lovely". Well, applying the primer was anything but those things. Yesterday, the smell in our house was so bad that I thought I was going to get sick. And while we were actually up there (room's on the second floor) my daughter and I felt as if we were becoming a bit "wacky" from inhaling the fumes. As someone said last night at church, we probably killed some brain cells yesterday, for which I am worried - I don't have that many to lose!! Anyway, today, we had to finish the "priming" because we were so sick of the smell yesterday, we up and left it. So had to return to the scene and complete the job. Now my hands look like a nail job gone bad and I have the familiar little white "freckles" all over my skin again. Tomorrow, I guess we'll start the actual painting. Hopefully, it is water based and will wash off easily, the primer was not. Alas, the money I spent in paintbrushes, that would not wash out, was probably enough to pay a painter. Anyway, I am hoping and praying the painting won't be as difficult.

All in all, I must say I do have a new found respect for painters.

2 comments:

Jeff Keith said...

I would rather be drug behind a car for 5 miles on asphalt littered with broken glass and then thrown in a pool of alcohol as to paint a room!

DebbieP said...

Whew! I don't enjoy painting a room either but - wow! Anyway I think what made it so bad was you were using oil based primer. I painted our living room and Kitchen and it wasn't that bad and it didn't smell very strong at all. Hopefully it will seem easy now to paint with water based paint!