Wednesday, December 19, 2007

ESL Christmas Party


Well, last night we had our 2nd annual ESL (English as a Second Language)Christmas party. We hosted it at our home this year because all of the students wanted to see our new house. We had such a great time. I would post some pics but my teaching assistant (Autumn) did all the picture-taking and she is off to Tennessee today, so I am without any photos.

It is fun to share Christmas with other cultures and to share different types of food, as well. After we ate and visited a bit, we sang a couple of traditional Christmas carols with them that we taught them this last month. We taught them Silent Night and Joy to the World and shared the meaning of each song. Then, we shared the Christmas story with them based on a Nativity Scene (posted photo) that I have set up in my living room. We told them how Jesus was born in a manger in a stable and asked them questions like, "where are kings usually born?". We mentioned the star that God placed in the sky to guide them on their way. They were particularly interested in the three wise men bringing gifts to the new King.

One Chinese lady, named MiMi, had never heard the story until she moved from China to the United States a few years ago. I was amazed (yet not surprised) that she had never heard the story before.

I am very thankful for the opportunity to share with these precious people. I pray God would use Autumn and me to continue to plant small seeds that will one day produce fruit for His Kingdom.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

How cool that you got to share the story of Christmas with them. We sometimes forget how fortunate we are in the US. We're so saturated with christianity that we don't realize how many people know nothing about it.
Cool nativity scene, too!

DebbieP said...

What a wonderful ministry! I pray for the seeds you are planting to grow and for your students to enter the Kingdom of Heaven! Merry Christmas and see you next year!

Jeff Keith said...

That was such a wonderful opportunity for you to share your faith. I love other cultures and would have loved to see the different traditions!!