Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Indian Summer and Cold Fronts



I am so ready for cooler weather!! I always remember my grandmother saying that we were having an Indian Summer if the weather was warm in the fall. So I guess that is what this is. I know up north they are hotter than we are right now. I think it is supposed to get cool this week, maybe it will be the last hot spell for the year.



Anyway, have you ever noticed that when the full moon comes, the weather turns cooler? My husband and I have been noticing this phenomenon for the past 15 or 20 years. We knew an older gentleman that brought it to our attention and it has proven true every month. Usually 3 days before or 3 days after (or any of that time period in between) the full moon, the weather will turn cooler or we will get a cold front. Watch and notice for yourself. I wonder what the scientific explanation is for this? Anyway, it's pretty cool - which is what I am ready for -

COOL

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't noticed the weather change with the full moon. I do know that kids go NUTS when there is a full moon. I didn't buy in to the theory in the beginning but now I mark my calendar. Strange but true.

DebbieP said...

Rachel it really is true, weird but true. I used to teach and it was true then and we notice it on Wednesday nights working with the kids at church.

Now I have never heard of the full moon making the temp cooler - have to start noticing that one. Pretty COOL!

Anonymous said...

My family calls a warm fall or winter indian summer and a cold spring blackberry winter. I love old southern stuff like that, I have always heard that if you dig a hole while there is a full moon, when you get ready to fill the hole back up there wont be enough dirt. Lots of crazyness around full moons.