Tuesday, August 21, 2007

ESL

I think I may have mentioned before that I teach an ESL (English as a Second Language) class on Tuesday afternoons. I also teach Spanish to adults and have been doing that for several years. Initially, teaching the ESL class seemed as if it was going to be difficult for me. I guess what I mean is that when I was asked to do it, I originally did not feel great about it and doubted that I would be able to do it well and enjoy it at the same time. Well, I'm still not sure I do a good job at it but I absolutely love it!! This group of people have become some of the dearest people in my life. I have 3 Korean students; a Korean couple and an elderly gentleman. I also have a Chinese gal, her name is Mimi and she is precious. And I also have 4 Hispanic people; 3 ladies and one man, all from Mexico. Today we played some games that I had put together for them and then did some exercises out of the book we are using and then just did some basic conversation. We are learning so much about each other and I am just so thrilled at how everyone is so eager to learn and so patient. It is definitely the highlight of my week and I am so thankful for the opportunity.
I want to interject here that I am so humbled at how the Lord has so graciously provided for me over these past few years. I learned Spanish in high school and college and by living in South America and also got my degree in Cross Cultural Communications. I have prayed for years that the Lord would provide outlets for me to use the skills He has given to me. It is so neat to see these things come to fruition. I feel so very blessed!!
Learning about other cultures; communicating and sharing with people of other nations is such an incredible thing. It just shows how vast our God is and how incredibly creative He is.

0 comments: