Sunday, September 13, 2009

That Time of the Year


It's that time of the year. When the world turns it's eyes to the gridiron. Well, everyone, except me, that is. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate football or anything; I really don't. It's just not my favorite sport. But, I am learning by living in a college town (or living near one) how important college football is to the culture of these people. It's crazy! I mean, really crazy! I mean, the Braves are still playing baseball (not too good, but, hey, they're still playing) and everyone is yelling "WOOF, WOOF".

I really don't mind. I grew up in the D.C. area and the Redskins, Sonny Jurgensen and Joe Theisman were household words. I just haven't learned all the terminology, the love for one of the ugliest dogs I've ever seen (bulldog) and all the hooplah. I still haven't figured out what it is they yell everytime they punt! I am sure I will eventually get there, but, in the meantime, I hope the rest of you have an awesome season and that your team does the best and makes you proud.

I will continue to root for my Braves and pray for a miracle and maybe someday I will love the Bulldogs with as much fervor.

Maybe I'll see you someday "between the hedges"!!

0 comments: