Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Busy Day, Busy Day, Busy, Busy, Busy Day

Do you ever get so busy that you just pass your husband/wife in the hallway or see your children maybe once or twice a week for a real conversation? Or, don't have the time in your schedule to sit down together as a family and eat a meal? This is something our family has been really struggling with lately.

May I say, I HATE IT!!

I love having time with my family and my husband and when it doesn't happen I begin to scream inside for change and it affects me in the deepest parts of my emotional being. I can't even explain it sometimes or put it into words, but it's a very real feeling.

For us, right now we're in a transition. Let me give you a shortened version: We moved from a smaller town (about 30 miles away) that basically has a slower lifestyle and it was much more convenient for us just to come home after work and just be together and hang out, whatever... We moved to an area closer to a really big city (not big like Atlanta, but pretty big - compared to where we were) because, A. we wanted to be closer to our church because we're really involved, B. daughter works at church and it would aid in her being more conveniently located and, C. it just seemed like the right thing to do and we found a house that we really loved.

I remember telling my husband that my one "fear" or "caution" in moving closer in would be that we would become "too involved" and less connected as a family. Does anyone out there understand what I'm saying??

Well, this was the topic of conversation for my hubby and I yesterday and we had a good long talk and a very big cry (both of us) about this very thing. Don't get me wrong: We LOVE our church , it's incredible and our pastor is so humble and we get fed and we love serving and on and on. We love our friendships, we love being able to run to the mall and get what's needed, we love our new house, we love it all. BUT - the biggest question is, how has it affected us as a family?? We are a close knit family and we value time together and we value character building within our family and time together and all of the things that family togetherness nurtures. So, now, we've got to work harder to maintain and re-position some of our priorities.

Yesterday, (Memorial Day - oddly enough, it was as if the Lord was saying, remember your original intentions) was a huge wake up call for us. And I don't really know what it all means but I do know some things will change. Because, what we really want in life is not found in things or other people or in DOING; what we value in life is found in the satisfaction of knowing who we are in Christ and in walking that out before our family and before other people and in serving and in BEING. And if we can't BE those people with our family then how can we go out and BE those people to others?

It starts with all of us being disciples. Jesus chose a small group of men to connect with, to pour Himself in to. I believe that is what the family is about. Although our culture tries to pull us away from that purpose, we have to come back to that very valuable place. The intimacy and connection that comes with family and the growth and accountability that it provides.

You may not understand this post; I'm not really sure that I understand it all. You may think it strange; that's okay, I guess I am a bit strange. But that doesn't matter. Because we know that our focus has shifted a bit from the most important.

I love the story in the Bible where the Lord comes to visit Mary and Martha. And Martha is busy in the kitchen doing all the stuff and Mary is just there at Jesus' feet. And Martha gets all hot and bothered that Mary's not helping. And then Jesus says to Martha, "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." (Luke 10:41-42) That's what it's really all about - choosing the better thing, choosing that which has eternal value.

That's what I'm talking about.

4 comments:

Brandy Thixton said...

This is SO true! It's so difficult to keep that focus on home and family. Thanks for the reminder about what things are truly important!

Anonymous said...

I agree but as well want to give a word of advice, as is the case when we realize we have missed the mark, we have a tendancy to, over react. What I mean is we stop doing everything or almost everything because at that moment it seems like the right thing to do to get things under control.

Having been through this with my own family, we have found that we must put things in place to slow down and enjoy each other and have family time. We schedule family nights and dinners at home together where we all sit at the table and look at each and acutally talk to each other. We try and plan these at least once a week or maybe even more often. As well we do a lot of things together like going to buy groceries and just normal shopping, because if we don't we wont be spending time together. At any rate we did this and we did stop some things but were able to have a middle ground that gave us balance. Sorry so long but just thought I would share. I can tell you when you have child off in college like we do, you realize how quickly life happens and your children are GONE!?!? Where does the time go...

DebbieP said...

You are not strange at all! We feel the same way in our family and really guard our time together. It really hurts me inside like it does you when we don't spend enough QUALITY time together. so you can even have time together every night of the week and still not have time together because TV (or other things) can rob you of connecting. If we are weird it is only in the sense that the Bible says we are in this world and not of it. Our first ministry is to our family, then to others. I am behind you all the way sister!

Rick Womack said...

Debbie,
Let me just say this was a 'confirming' word for me. We're excited about moving to FS, and looking forward to the slow down - we'll soon be in a place where Patrice and I will both be within 5 minutes of work - NEVER in our marriage have we had that! Schools will be close, church close, but the pace, the pace!, is what we're looking forward to. Thanks for blogging this post - it really encouraged me!