Saturday, June 9, 2007

In a Slump?! - Persevere for the Prize

We went to an Atlanta Braves game last night. They lost - enough said? No, maybe not. They're definitely "in a slump". It just showed through the whole game. It's just like they didn't really come to play, but were just there in body only. I absolutely love watching the Braves play, but, I must admit, it was rather painful last night, losing 9 - 1.

"Slump": "bad period, bad times, blight, bottom out, collapse, depreciation, depression, descent, downer, down slide, downtrend, drop, dumps, falling-off, funk, hard times, letdown, recession, rut, sag, slide, slip, stagnation." Definitely words that would describe the Braves last 7 games, 6 losses.

By the way, I think I am a very good Braves fan because, even though, as the game progressed and I got more frustrated with our teams inability to score, I kept thinking "next inning, they'll do it". My husband is a true fisherman and loves the sport. He says even if you aren't catching any fish, there's always that next cast. There's always hope. I know the Braves will come back, I hope it's sooner and not later. But, regardless, I love cheering them on and I absolutely love being at a live game and being part of that huge throng of people watching them play and hoping that next pitch will be the one that puts them ahead.

Hebrews 11 and 12 is a great passage of Scripture with similarities to any game or race in life. The writer of Hebrews talks about all the great people of faith that we have all read about in the Old Testament and that their faith in God kept them going through the difficult times. And I love the way chapter 12 starts out, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders us and the sin that so easy entangles us and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us. Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him, endured the cross, scorning it's shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful man." Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, is the One to keep our eyes on. "Consider Him", the passage says, think about Him, focus on Him, realize that there were many, many people before us, "a great cloud of witnesses" that also persevered and made it!!

"Perseverance": "backbone, constancy, continuance, dedication, determination, diligence, drive, endurance, grit, guts, immovability, persistence, purposefulness, resolution, spunk, stamina, steadfastness, stick-to-itiveness, tenacity".

I love being an Atlanta Braves fan and won't quit cheering them on, but I pray everyday that I will be a person known for her perseverance. I want to finish the race set before me because, ultimately, there is a prize on the other side. And I can't wait to get there!!

0 comments: