Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Balut Anyone??

Well, I have to share something very funny with you. I teach Spanish to adults twice a week in the evenings. Very often, we will veer from the language and grammar and talk a bit about culture. The other evening we were learning the "food" vocabulary and I taught them the word for hard-boiled eggs - "huevos duros". One of my students commented that she had heard a similar word used by Hispanic friends of hers referring to cooked chicken embryos. She said it was popular in some cultures but could not remember the name of it. So, the next day, I got on the internet and started to search. I assumed it was eaten by some Latin culture, but could not find anything relating to that or to chicken embryos. What I did find though was something called "Balut" that is eaten by Filipinos and Vietnamese people and is considered a delicacy. It is actually a duck embryo that has been boiled and is eaten in the shell. I thought I would share the short video with you that I found regarding balut. Be wary, it is rated "SG" for "sorta gross".

Anyway, I was thinking about the different types of things different cultures eat and I did think this was pretty gross. But one of my students pointed out that it's not gross to the people that eat it. I guess that is true. My husband is a big hunter and fisherman and he has eaten some pretty weird stuff over the years: alligator, squirrel, barbecued goat, racoon, not to mention the ones that - uh - "taste like chicken" like rabbit, quail, frog legs, etc... I don't eat any of that stuff. Give me beef and real chicken and I'm good to go.

Speaking of food and eating, I love the scripture from Psa. 34:8 that says "Taste and see that the Lord is good, blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him." Jesus said in John, chapter 4, that He had food to eat that the disciples knew nothing about. He said His food was to do the will of the Father. Now, that's the kind of "food" from which we can all be nourished!!





2 comments:

Jessica said...

DEBBIE! I've had balut. Yep. Pulled up to a gas station while we lived in the Philippines, went in, asked for it, they wrapped it in newspaper (it was still warm), and handed me some salt to go with it.

Wierd. Very wierd, but truly..."tastes like chicken"!

Anonymous said...

this is about music in the philippines but the american eats a balut at the end. pretty funny.

http://www.vbs.tv/player.php?bctid=1118015135&bccl=Mjg0OTQ3NzE4X19NVVNJQw&r=new