Sunday, February 10, 2008

New Technology for Me


Hubby bought me a GPS for Christmas and I am just getting around to putting it in the car and trying it out!! I love it!! Not only has it already proved to be very helpful, but it is so much fun just following it and listening to this little voice telling you where to go. Tomorrow I have to drive to Augusta for my son's endocrinologist appt. and I have never driven there from our new house, so I'm looking forward to getting in and telling it where I'm going and letting it tell me how to get there. It really is very amazing to me that we have these kinds of things to rely on. I also love just putting it on the "map" feature and seeing all the stuff that is around when you're driving that you had no idea was there. My husband loves seeing all the ponds and other bodies of water (since he is such a big fisherman). It knows exactly how fast I'm going, which in a way, is kind of scary. I guess when you think about it, it's kind of freaky that a satellite can track you anywhere you are at. Remember Big Brother?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very Cool! I was teaching maps to my 1st graders two weeks ago and one of them informed me that a GPS is a digital map. It wasn't one of the examples I used because I was thinking of the "old" examples I always use! I guess I better get with the times to be more relevant!

DebbieP said...

I think it is funny that they use a female voice in a GPS because it is soothing. Many husbands hate their wives telling them what to do in regards to driving. Kind of ironic, don't you think?

I am a little more old school with these GPS systems. I think they are neat but I don't trust them yet. We used one to go to the airport at Christmas and it really made some bad choices. It took us on every back road all around Kanarsy. We even ended up on a dirt road and that even shook Darin up. We did get there, just in a round about way!

Anonymous said...

I SOOOO need one of those. I have zero sense of direction. Until I met Jeff I had no idea that there were wierdos out there with an internal compass or some such nonsense. Very cool gift.