Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Creativity "Looming"


I'm not a very creative person. I never have been. I would like to be, but I think that kind of thing must be "in-born". I can, however, follow directions pretty good. (Why I got a GPS maybe ??, previous post).

So, anyway, I have been in a "craftsy" kind of mood lately. I learned to crochet many years ago at the hands of some very patient friends. Turns out I only learned one stitch and got tired of doing scarves and pot holders. So, I decided to try my hand (literally) at knitting. Before you get too impressed, let me assure you that whatever I try, be it gourmet cooking, sewing or any craft work is always very easy. That's because I'm not creative, remember??

So, I saw this loom thing at the store the other day and it guaranteed me that I could make something pretty quickly and effortlessly. See, that's my problem, I want great results but don't want all the hassle that goes with it. So, I bought it - it's called a Knifty Knitter and it actually is just an oblong loom that allows you to weave and make something. The something I made was a scarf. I bought some yarn on sale (okay, I'm a cheap skate); no, actually I didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I may not like. But actually, I really like doing this. It gives me the feeling that I am creating something, not a lot of effort to it and easy enough for even a child to do.

So, I'm going to bravely post my first creation. It was a scarf. Okay, I said I was tired of doing scarves, but I had to do something simple in the beginning. I am on to bigger and better things next time. Maybe a blanket of some sort. We'll see. Anyway, please don't laugh, especially those of you that have been gifted with that inborn creative genius.

I thought that the Knifty Knitter was actually pretty nifty. So, if you see someone walking around with something around their neck that looks like a blue caterpillar, that would be me!!


3 comments:

DebbieP said...

I think your scarf is really pretty! I would wear it so please don't feel shy about sharing it! I would love to learn to knit as well but never had anyone to teach me. This device you bought seems pretty nifty to me!

Anonymous said...

I think your scarf looks great! I've seen those looms, and know a really good knitter that uses them, but I've never tried one. You are tempting me, though. I think next time I see one on sale, I'll try it too! (and I always buy my yarn on sale also.)

Unknown said...

It's great! Elaine made Leslie a scarf for her birthday using something similar. I was very impressed with her creation too. Maybe that can be something I learn to do this summer!