Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Gentle Reminders


Recently, while at church and praying during our "after service" worship time, I was just kind of sitting there and I guess I was sort of complaining and grumbling to the Lord about how bad I was feeling, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.... you get the picture.

Anyway, it was as if the Lord gently nudged my spirit and told me to look at the altar area. So, I lifted up my head and looked at the altar and guess what I saw?

All three of my children were at the altar and were worshipping the Lord. All three of them had either their hands raised or were in a bowed position before the Lord. The Lord then reminded me of how blessed I was and how I should be grateful to Him for the incredible things He has already done. I immediately snapped out of my "piteous stupor" and praised Him.

Isn't that how it is with us? We so quickly forget all He has done for us. The cry of my heart since my kids were born has been that they would grow up to love and serve our Father. It's so easy to get our eyes off of what God IS doing and start looking at what WE think should be happening.

It really was a wake up call for me. God is trying to teach this thick-headed, stubborn, servant of His just how much He has poured out His kindness and mercy to me already and how much He does on a daily basis.

His mercies are new every morning, great is Thy faithfulness!!

4 comments:

DebbieP said...

Praise God! You are so right. Boy I feel the conviction for sure. I remember when I was single and would dream of having children in the future, it was always my dream that they grow up to love and serve the Lord. I pictured them laying hands on the sick and praying for people. Now we are blessed with 2 godly young men that I couldn't be more proud of and a husband that seeks to put God first in our lives. I am blessed, so blessed, yet I too, get depressed and focus on what I think God isn't doing for me. Of God please forgive me.

Kathryn said...

Wow! That's so awesome. It makes it worth all the bumps in the road when we see fruit like that. It's like you got a wink from Jesus to encourage you along the way. I know you're not making it about you, but as a young mom just starting the journey I want to say: Yay! You've done such a beautiful job raising those kids and I hope I can follow that example.

I'll bet he's pruning you for what he has in store next. I'm praying for all of us that we can keep tender and glad hearts before Him throughout these trials. I've been struggling with being grumpy lately and your post really encouraged me. Thanks for taking time to share.

Beloved of the Lord said...

I needed that. I've been having a pity party all day, and frankly it's time to praise!!
Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Debbie as I read your blog I thought about this scripture...

Proverbs 31:28

Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:

You are so blessed, your children are rising up and calling you blessed!!!