Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Case of the Blahs


Did you know that the word “blah” is actually listed in the dictionary? Webster defines it as “a feeling of dullness, boredom, lethargy, likened to a winter’s day.”

I guess that sums up the way I’ve been feeling lately. I couldn’t quite put my finger on what the problem was. I just knew that I wasn’t my usual self. I hate using the word "depressed" cuz it just sounds "depressing", but if I felt any way in particular, that about sums it up.

I have to admit: sometimes the blahs just seem to creep into my life unannounced. I’ll be going along just fine when, all of a sudden, it feels like my engine begins to run on less than all cylinders.

I know one thing: I am very thankful that my Lord understands and doesn't condemn me or reject me when I'm feeling this way. (I wonder if Jesus ever faced the blahs....)

“For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weakness, but we have one who has been tempted in everyway, just as we are-yet was without sin” (Hebrews 4:15).

Amazingly though, there is one thing that always, always takes away the blahs. And a lot of times, when I can almost start feeling them coming on, I realize I haven't spent any quality time with the Lord. It amazes me how it's such a temperature gauge for me. But when I start feeling "yucky", I can almost always trace it back to not taking that time that I need with Him.

I allow the "tyranny of the urgent" to steal away those precious moments with the only One who can bring balance to my life. The Lover of my soul. I know it and yet I still do it, over and over again. I choose the urgent in place of the REFUGE! Why do I do this? Why?

Oh wretched man (or woman) that I am! Who can deliver me? Jesus can!! Jesus can!! Jesus can!!

One of my all time favorite songs by Matt Redman goes like this:

When my heart runs dry
And there's no song to sing
No holy melody
No words of love within
I recall the height from which
This fragile heart has slipped...
And I'll remember You
I will turn back and do
The things I used to do
for the love of You
Lord, I'll remember You
I will turn back and do
The things I used to do
for the love of You

You are my soul's desire
You are the hope within
You bring my heart to life
You make my spirit sing
I recall the height from which
This fragile heart has slipped..

And I remember You.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I was just about to post "Blah" as my Facebook status! No kidding! Just reading this has made me a little less blah! :)

Jessica said...

Beautiful, friend. Once again, honored to be a kindred sojourner. Love you.

DebbieP said...

Oh I know what you mean. How do people survive without the Lord?

You are such an encouragement as you share your journey with us!

願望 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
逛街 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.